Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

How Do I Leave Money to My Disabled Daughter and Make Sure Her Husband Does Not Have Access to It?

  • May 25th, 2018
My daughter, 67, is disabled and I would like whatever assets I have on my death to go to her to be used for her comfort, food, and welfare. My only problem is her husband. I do not want him to have access to or inherit any of this money. Also, in case I need the money before my death, I want to be able to use it. Can I do an amendment to my will? 

The solution is for you to leave everything in trust for your daughter. That way it will be protected from your daughter’s husband and also not affect her eligibility for public benefits. The problem is that both creating and managing an individual trust can be expensive in relation to the amount of money involved.  Rather than an individual trust, it probably makes sense to sign up with a non-profit organization that manages trusts for many beneficiaries (these are called "pooled trusts"), usually at a lower cost than that charged by lawyers and professional trustees. You can find a list of organizations providing this service here: https://specialneedsanswers.com/pooled-trust.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Loretta Williams

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA

William Fralin

The Estate Planning & Elder Law Firm PC
Bethesda, MD

Last Modified: 05/25/2018

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information