Public and private agencies offer a variety of home care services that may be available to you.Read more
Help in Providing Care From a Distance
- December 15th, 2002
In our mobile society it's not uncommon for parents and children to live in different parts of the country or the world. When aging parents need care, it can be difficult to address their needs from afar. Feelings of guilt can arise, coupled with a sense of being overwhelmed by the challenges of arranging caregiving. Fortunately, help is available for long-distance caregivers. Following are some key resources:
- Sunrise At Home is a new program of Sunrise Assisted Living that provides assisted living services in a person's own home. Call 1-888-AT HOME3 (284-6633) or visit www.athomeassistedliving.com
- SeniorBridge offers both care management and home care services. Call 1-888-321-6161 or visit www.cambridgecompanions.com
- The Eldercare Locator can help you find services in the community that may be able to offer assistance. Call toll-free 1-800-677-1116 or visit Eldercare.gov
- A geriatric care manager can assess and manage your parents' care. To locate one, visit www.caremanager.org
- The National Family Caregivers Association offers assistance and advocacy. Visit www.nfcacares.org
- The AARP Web page on 'Long-Distance Caregiving' includes many helpful tips and links. Visit www.aarp.org/confacts/caregive/longdistance.html
Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA
Law Offices of John L. Laster
John Laster is a lawyer licensed to practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. He limits his practice to wealth transfer planning, trusts, wills, powers of attorney, health care decision-making issues, estate administration and related tax, elder law and disability concerns. Listed in The Best Lawyers...
Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
For Jeffrey Hammond, the practice of Elder Law is personal. Jeff’s many years of experience in law and in business did not prepare him for the crisis he faced in 2005 and 2006 when his father suffered a stroke and both of his parents suffered from dementia and other medical problems. At that time, Jeff began an i...
Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Margaret A. O’Reilly is an estate planning and elder law attorney with over thirty-five years of legal experience. Attorney O’Reilly graduated from Duke University with a degree in psychology, and received her law degree from Northeastern University School of Law in Boston, Massachusetts. For over 15 y...