Long-term care insurance policyholders were dealt a blow by the Oregon Supreme Court when it ruled that the state's elder...Read more
Checklist for Detecting and Dealing with Elder Financial Abuse
- November 29th, 2016
The elderly are particularly vulnerable to scams or to financial abuse by family members or others in need of money. Financial abuse can be very difficult to detect, but there are warning signs.
How to detect financial elder abuse
The following are some signs that an elderly loved one may be the victim of financial abuse:
- The disappearance of valuable objects.
- Withdrawals of large amounts of money, checks made out to cash, or low bank balances.
- A new "best friend" and isolation from other friends and family.
- Large credit card transactions.
- Signatures on checks look different.
- A name added to a bank account or joint accounts that are newly formed.
- Indications of fear of caregivers.
What to do
If you suspect someone of being financially abused, there are several actions you can take:
- Report the crime by calling your local Adult Protective Services and state attorney general's office. File a police report.
- Explore options at your local probate court if your state has such courts. The court can intervene if someone in the family is misusing a power of attorney or their role as guardian or conservator.
- Contact advocacy organizations. The National Center on Elder Abuse offers guidance on how to investigate and seek justice for elder abuse. State laws vary, but some have elder abuse statutes and may be able to get restitution for breach of fiduciary duties.
- Try to get a temporary restraining order from a court while building your case.
Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA
Law Offices of John L. Laster
John Laster is a lawyer licensed to practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. He limits his practice to wealth transfer planning, trusts, wills, powers of attorney, health care decision-making issues, estate administration and related tax, elder law and disability concerns. Listed in The Best Lawyers...
Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Loretta Morris Williams is a certified elder law attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation. Ms. Williams was admitted to the Council of Advanced Practitioners, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) in 2012. She serves as President of the Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Ms. Willia...