Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

As My Father's Agent Under a Power of Attorney, Can I Add My Son's Name to His Life Insurance Policy?

  • April 14th, 2016
I have dual power of attorney for my father. At this time there is no beneficiary on one of his life insurance policies and I want to add my son's name as beneficiary. This is what my father would have wanted. Can I do this?

I take it that your father is no longer competent to sign the beneficiary designation form himself. Whether or not you can change his beneficiary using his durable power of attorney will depend on the insurance company rules. You will have to contact the insurer and ask them. I’m also not quite sure what you mean by “dual.” If it means that you and someone else are both appointed on the durable power of attorney, then whether you can act alone will depend on both the wording of the actual power of attorney and, again, on what the insurance company requires.

For more information about your duties as an agent under a power of attorney, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Jeffrey Hammond

Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
Bethesda, MD

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

Last Modified: 04/14/2016

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information