Once a resident is settled in a nursing home, being told to leave can be very traumatic. Nursing homes are required to follow...Read more
20 Common Nursing Home Problems--and How to Resolve Them
- July 28th, 2015
Justice in Aging (formerly the National Senior Citizens Law Center (NSCLC) has published an updated edition of its guide, 20 Common Nursing Home Problems--and How to Resolve Them. For each of the 20 problems, the guide offers a clear explanation of the relevant law, along with careful instructions as to how a resident, family member or advocate should proceed.
Some of the issues covered in the guide are:
- how to fight discrimination against Medicaid patients;
- a nursing home's legal obligation to accommodate preferences of individual residents;
- limitations on the use of physical restraints and feeding tubes;
- why "plateauing" is not a reason for the termination of Medicare Part A reimbursement;
- a strategy for obtaining a Medicaid-certified bed for a resident currently residing in an uncertified bed; and
- a nursing home's legal obligation to readmit a Medicaid-eligible resident after a hospital stay of several weeks or even several months;
- how to limit the use of feeding tubes.
For more details and to download a free copy of the guide, click here.
Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA
Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
For Jeffrey Hammond, the practice of Elder Law is personal. Jeff’s many years of experience in law and in business did not prepare him for the crisis he faced in 2005 and 2006 when his father suffered a stroke and both of his parents suffered from dementia and other medical problems. At that time, Jeff began an i...
Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Margaret A. O’Reilly is an estate planning and elder law attorney with over thirty-five years of legal experience. Attorney O’Reilly graduated from Duke University with a degree in psychology, and received her law degree from Northeastern University School of Law in Boston, Massachusetts. For over 15 y...
Law Offices of John L. Laster
John Laster is a lawyer licensed to practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. He limits his practice to wealth transfer planning, trusts, wills, powers of attorney, health care decision-making issues, estate administration and related tax, elder law and disability concerns. Listed in The Best Lawyers...