Once a resident is settled in a nursing home, being told to leave can be very traumatic. Nursing homes are required to follow...Read more
20 Common Nursing Home Problems--and How to Resolve Them
- July 28th, 2015
Justice in Aging (formerly the National Senior Citizens Law Center (NSCLC) has published an updated edition of its guide, 20 Common Nursing Home Problems--and How to Resolve Them. For each of the 20 problems, the guide offers a clear explanation of the relevant law, along with careful instructions as to how a resident, family member or advocate should proceed.
Some of the issues covered in the guide are:
- how to fight discrimination against Medicaid patients;
- a nursing home's legal obligation to accommodate preferences of individual residents;
- limitations on the use of physical restraints and feeding tubes;
- why "plateauing" is not a reason for the termination of Medicare Part A reimbursement;
- a strategy for obtaining a Medicaid-certified bed for a resident currently residing in an uncertified bed; and
- a nursing home's legal obligation to readmit a Medicaid-eligible resident after a hospital stay of several weeks or even several months;
- how to limit the use of feeding tubes.
For more details and to download a free copy of the guide, click here.
Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA
Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Jean Galloway Ball is certified in Elder Law by the National Elder Law Foundation. She is a 1977 honors graduate of the National Law Center, George Washington University, and she did her undergraduate work at the University of California at Berkeley, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in 1971. She is admitted to practice in Vir...
Ron M. Landsman, P.A.
Ron M. Landsman has been practicing elder law since 1983, before it was known as elder law, originally with Landsman and Laster, Washington, D.C., then Landsman, Eakes and Laster, also in Arlington, VA, and since 1990 in his own practice in Montgomery County, Maryland. He has been among the most active members of the...
Felinton Elder Law & Estate Planning Centers
Mindy Felinton concentrates in the areas of Medicaid planning, Veterans' Benefits, asset protection, nursing home planning, elder law, wills, estate planning, trusts, living wills, powers of attorney, probate administration and trust administration and began her legal career 30 years ago as an Assistant State Attorney...
For an article in the Washington Post on an earlier version of the guide, click here.
Last Modified: 07/28/2015