Once a resident is settled in a nursing home, being told to leave can be very traumatic. Nursing homes are required to follow...Read more
20 Common Nursing Home Problems--and How to Resolve Them
- July 28th, 2015
Justice in Aging (formerly the National Senior Citizens Law Center (NSCLC) has published an updated edition of its guide, 20 Common Nursing Home Problems--and How to Resolve Them. For each of the 20 problems, the guide offers a clear explanation of the relevant law, along with careful instructions as to how a resident, family member or advocate should proceed.
Some of the issues covered in the guide are:
- how to fight discrimination against Medicaid patients;
- a nursing home's legal obligation to accommodate preferences of individual residents;
- limitations on the use of physical restraints and feeding tubes;
- why "plateauing" is not a reason for the termination of Medicare Part A reimbursement;
- a strategy for obtaining a Medicaid-certified bed for a resident currently residing in an uncertified bed; and
- a nursing home's legal obligation to readmit a Medicaid-eligible resident after a hospital stay of several weeks or even several months;
- how to limit the use of feeding tubes.
For more details and to download a free copy of the guide, click here.
Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA
Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Jean Galloway Ball is certified in Elder Law by the National Elder Law Foundation. She is a 1977 honors graduate of the National Law Center, George Washington University, and she did her undergraduate work at the University of California at Berkeley, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in 1971. She is admitted to practice in Vir...
The Law Firm of Evan H. Farr, P.C.
In practice since 1987, Fairfax Attorney Evan Farr is widely recognized as one of the leading Elder Law, Estate Planning, and Specials Needs attorneys in Virginia and one of foremost experts in the Country in the field of Medicaid Asset Protection and related Trusts. Evan Farr has been quoted or cited as an expert by n...
Needham Mitnick & Pollack, PLC
Judith Mtinick is well known for acting as a guardian, conservator, trustee or agent on behalf of clients or by court appointment. This experience gives her a wide perspective and extensive practical knowledge that she uses when advising clients in drafting their planning documents. Her experience, as a court appointed...