Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Will Medicaid Still Pay for Dad's Care If Parents Move to a Different State?

  • May 15th, 2014
We have parents in Florida. The husband is in a nursing home and the wife is still in the house, which is paid off. Can we move them to Indiana and still have Medicaid pay for the nursing home?

Yes, but perhaps not immediately. They will most likely have to reapply for Medicaid in Indiana and most nursing homes will not accept a patient who is in the process of applying without some guarantee of payment while the application is being processed.

In addition, the home in Florida could be a complicating factor. It’s likely that Indiana will require that it be sold, but will provide Medicaid coverage while it is on the market. Depending on the sales price and whether the wife is purchasing a new home in Indiana, it may be necessary to spend down some of the proceeds. It’s possible that the Florida Medicaid agency will help with the process since it’s in their interest to get the husband off of their rolls, but it may be difficult to find someone to talk to in their bureaucracy.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Ron Landsman

Ron M. Landsman, P.A.
Rockville, MD

Jeffrey Hammond

Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
Bethesda, MD

Loretta Williams

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

In any case, we strongly recommend that you consult with an Indiana elder law attorney, who should have more specific information on how this would work there.

For more on Medicaid's rules, click here.

Last Modified: 05/15/2014

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information