Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Will My Mother Lose My Father's Income When He Goes on Medicaid?

  • September 30th, 2014
My father is very ill and may have to be placed in a residential home or long-term psychiatric facility. Will my mother lose his pension and Social Security checks?  Without them she will not be able to afford her home, as her own Social Security benefit is only about $500 a month.

Probably not. Assuming Medicaid covers your father’s care, it will calculate a spousal allowance for your mother based on its formula and your mother’s actual housing costs. If, for instance, they determine that your mother needs $2,500 a month for her expenses, and her own income is only $500 a month, then she will be entitled to $2,000 of your father’s income each month. If his monthly income is less than this, she will be able to keep all of it. If it’s more, he’ll have to pay the excess over $2,000 to the facility. Remember, I’m using these numbers by way of example and the state Medicaid agency will determine the exact figures.

For more details on this spousal allowance, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Loretta Williams

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

John Laster

Law Offices of John L. Laster
Falls Church, VA

Jean Ball

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Last Modified: 09/30/2014

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information