Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

What Needs to Be Addressed When Moving Grandmother to Another State?

  • August 27th, 2013
I have a question regarding moving my husband's 87-yr-old grandmother to Maryland from Florida since the passing of my father-in-law. We have already purchased a 55+ community condo for her, and will be moving her up in 3 weeks. She does not own a home, and it is my understanding that she only receives a small pension and Social Security. So, thankfully, there are no assets to fight over that we know of. She has one living son in NY with whom we have no contact. Other than ensuring she has a new medical power of attorney drawn up after the move, should we be addressing anything else?

It sounds like you're in pretty good shape. I would ask your husband's grandmother to execute a financial durable power of attorney as well as the medical directive. Also, as part of the move, she should set up a new bank account in Maryland to receive direct deposit of her Social Security and pension and include your husband as joint owner. This will make it easier to manage her finances.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Margaret O'Reilly

Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Herndon, VA

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA

Jeffrey Hammond

Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
Bethesda, MD

Last Modified: 08/27/2013

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information