Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Will Medicaid Consider Payments to an Adult Child for Living Expenses to Be a Transfer of Assets?

  • November 11th, 2014
My mom lives with me.  Can she pay her fair share of living expenses without this being considered a transfer should she apply for Medicaid down the road?  

The answer is yes, but. Certainly, she should pay her fair share. The question is how to establish what is “fair” so that either (a) it is not challenged by Medicaid or (b) it can stand up to Medicaid’s questioning. You can either use your best judgment on the right amount, keeping careful records of the related expenses, or work with a local elder law attorney to determine the amount and how best to document it. The second route would be the safer course of action.

For more on Medicaid's asset transfer rules, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

Samantha Fredieu

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

John Laster

Law Offices of John L. Laster
Falls Church, VA

Last Modified: 11/11/2014

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information