Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

I Can't Keep Maintaining My Mother's House, So Can I Sign Over the House to Medicaid?

  • February 3rd, 2016
My mother is in a nursing home and has been on Medicaid for the last year. I am no longer able to pay for the maintenance of her house, and what Medicaid has paid out over the year exceeds the value of the house. Can I sign the house over to the state now and avoid paying upkeep and maintenance costs on the house? 

You will have to check with your state Medicaid agency, but the answer will almost certainly be no. They don’t want to be in role of owning housing around the state. You're probably best off putting the house on the market. You should be able to deduct the cost of the sale and any outstanding claims against it from what you ultimately pay the state. But, again, check with the state Medicaid agency to be sure.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Judith Mitnick

Needham Mitnick & Pollack, PLC
Falls Church, VA

John Laster

Law Offices of John L. Laster
Falls Church, VA

Mindy Felinton

Felinton Elder Law & Estate Planning Centers
Rockville, MD

Last Modified: 02/03/2016

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information