Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

How Does Someone With No Family or Close Friends Find a Health Care or Financial Surrogate?

  • May 5th, 2017
What is the best way for someone without family or close friends to plan for a medical surrogate (health care proxy) and a financial decision-maker in the case of incapacity?

That is always a tough question, although it's often easier to find someone willing to make financial and legal decisions than to make personal and health care ones. On the financial side, attorneys and accountants may be willing to serve as agents under durable powers of attorney for their clients, especially if they have a longstanding relationship with the client. Of course, they will charge for their time serving in this role. If you have enough savings and investments, a bank or trust company will act as trustee. But all of these professionals or institutions are likely to feel uncomfortable making the more personal decisions associated with health care and living arrangements. To find someone willing to take that on, you may be better off searching for a volunteer associated with a church or other religious group or a charity working with seniors.

To find an attorney near you to help you come up with a plan, go here: http://www.elderlawanswers.com/elder-law-attorneys.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Loretta Williams

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Jean Ball

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

Last Modified: 05/05/2017

Medicaid Rules, etc