Search Articles

Find Attorneys

How Can I Seize Control of My Mother's Finances From My Sister?

  • April 8th, 2015
My sister holds the power of attorney (POA) for our mother, but I think she is stealing from my mother. How do I go about getting the POA transferred to me? What documents do I need? 

If your mother is still legally competent, she can revoke her existing durable power of attorney and execute a new one naming you or someone else as her new agent. If she does not have legal capacity, you will have to go to court to have a conservator or guardian appointed, who could then revoke the existing power of attorney.

For more on the power of attorney, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

Loretta Williams

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

For an article on revoking a power of attorney, click here.

For more on guardianship and conservatorship, click here.

Last Modified: 04/08/2015

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information