Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Can My Parents Sell Their Home and Pay for Upgrades to Our Home Without Triggering Medicaid's Transfer Rules?

  • June 19th, 2015
Both my elderly parents need extra help. We are going to sell their house and move them onto my property. We will need to build an addition in order to have space for them. Can they pay for these renovations out of profit from the sale of their home and not have it be subject to the Medicaid laws? The property will be in my name.

The answer to both questions is yes, but the payments need to be structured so that your state Medicaid agency doesn’t treat them as gifts to you causing up to five years of ineligibility for benefits. I strongly recommend that you work with a local elder law attorney to set this up so that it passes muster.

For more on Medicaid's asset transfer rules, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Margaret O'Reilly

Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Herndon, VA

Mindy Felinton

Felinton Elder Law & Estate Planning Centers
Rockville, MD

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA


Last Modified: 06/19/2015

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information