Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

What Can I Do if My Father's Income Is Too High for Medicaid, But Too Low for Nursing Home Costs?

  • October 6th, 2016
My father is in serious need of nursing home care. However, his pension income is too high for Medicaid, but too low for nursing home costs. Is there anything our family can do?

That's sometimes referred to as an "over-under" situation. Each state handles it differently, but it's almost always complicated. In some cases, your father will have to go on and off of Medicaid each month, paying privately at the beginning of the month until he runs out of money. Medicaid will pick up the cost for the balance of the month. Since this is very complicated for everyone involved, it may be possible to approach the nursing home and get it to agree to accept your father's income because it is more than the nursing home can get from Medicaid. In some states it's also possible to shelter income in a qualified income trust. We recommend that you consult with an elder law attorney in your state to determine how it’s best handled there. To find an attorney near you, go here: http://www.elderlawanswers.com/elder-law-attorneys

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

William Fralin

The Estate Planning & Elder Law Firm PC
Bethesda, MD

Samantha Fredieu

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Last Modified: 10/06/2016

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information