Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Should a Father Transfer His House to His Caretaker Daughter?

  • June 26th, 2014
My friend has moved in with her father because he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He owns his home and she has been told it would be better for him to gift the house to her than for her to inherit it in his trust. She wonders if this is true, both for tax purposes and to protect the home from liens.

For tax purposes, your friend is probably better off inheriting the home, but in terms of Medicaid liens she may be better off having it transferred to her before her father's death. However, she needs to have lived with and cared for her father for two years in order to qualify for the “caretaker child” exception to Medicaid's usual penalty period for transferring assets. Since there is no one-size-fits-all answer, I strongly recommend that your friend consult with a local elder law attorney.

For more on Medicaid's transfer rules and exceptions to them, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

Ron Landsman

Ron M. Landsman, P.A.
Rockville, MD

Mindy Felinton

Felinton Elder Law & Estate Planning Centers
Rockville, MD

Last Modified: 06/26/2014

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information