Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Is It Possible to Undo the Transfer of a House into a Medicaid Trust?

  • February 17th, 2015
My mom would like to sell her house and move to a different state near family or possibly even move in with family. Unbeknownst to her, her son who had power of attorney at a time when she was ill, put the house into a Medicaid qualifying trust. She would like to take the money from the sale with her when she moves, perhaps using some of it to help her daughter with a downpayment.  Is this possible? 

That’s problematic if the house is in a Medicaid qualifying trust. However, depending on the terms of the power of attorney, it may be possible to undo the transfer. That might take court action in order not to mess up the title to the property. I strongly recommend that your mother consult with a local elder law attorney who can look at the trust and let her know her rights. 

For more on Medicaid and trusts, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Margaret O'Reilly

Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Herndon, VA

John Laster

Law Offices of John L. Laster
Falls Church, VA

Jean Ball

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Last Modified: 02/17/2015

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information