Search Articles

Find Attorneys

How Will My Aunt's Help in Buying the House We Both Live in Affect Her Medicaid Eligibility?

  • February 13th, 2015
My aunt gave me $35,000 to help me buy my house.  She lives with me and participates in the payments of bills, maintenance, etc. What do I need to do to help her not to lose her benefits if needed down the road?  How will this affect her if she needs services later? 

If your aunt doesn’t need to apply for Medicaid benefits until more than five years after the gift, it doesn’t need to be reported. However, if she does need Medicaid-covered care before then you will have to establish that the payment was in exchange for the lodging and care you are providing. It is best that this be reflected in a written contract between you and your aunt, which should be drawn up by a local elder law attorney who knows the practices in your state.

For more on caregiving contracts, click here.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA

Loretta Williams

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

For more on Medicaid's asset transfer rules, click here.

Last Modified: 02/13/2015

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information