Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Can My Mother Move to Another State and Qualify for Medicaid There?

  • November 19th, 2014
My 80-year-old mother recently moved from New Mexico to Texas because of ongoing health and care issues. She needs to to be in a skilled nursing facility. Since she is not a Texas resident, how will Medicaid work if she requires extended care? 

While I don’t know about Texas in particular (I practice in Massachusetts), I’d be surprised if the move would be a problem. Any American citizen can change her residence any time she wants. But check with the Texas Medicaid agency or a local elder law attorney to be certain.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Jeffrey Hammond

Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
Bethesda, MD

Judith Mitnick

Needham Mitnick & Pollack, PLC
Falls Church, VA

Margaret O'Reilly

Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Herndon, VA

Last Modified: 11/19/2014

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information