Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

As an Agent Under a POA, Can I Change the Alternative Agent Named in the POA?

  • June 22nd, 2016
I am the agent under a power of attorney for my father. There is an alternative agent named in the power of attorney document, but I'm worried this person will not be able to act as agent if the time came. Can I change the backup agent if I feel the backup is no longer responsible to take over if something happens to me?

The best answer is to stay healthy. Only your father can change his power of attorney. If he’s not competent to do so now, your only option is to organize other family members or friends to step in in the event you become incapacitated. They would probably have to seek a court-ordered conservator to supersede the successor attorney-in-fact. For information on guardianships and conservatorships, go here: http://www.elderlawanswers.com/guardianship-and-conservatorship-12096.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Jean Ball

Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy PLC
Fairfax, VA

Jeffrey Hammond

Hammond and Associates, LLC, Elder Law, Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate
Bethesda, MD

Evan Farr

Farr Law Firm
Fairfax, VA

Last Modified: 06/22/2016

Medicaid Rules, etc

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information