Elder Law Answers Elder Law Answers

Search Articles

Find Attorneys

Can an Ex-Spouse Receive Spousal Support Payments from a Medicaid Recipient?

  • February 14th, 2018
My mother and father are divorced. My father entered a nursing home in Ohio and needs to apply for Medicaid. Will my mother still be able to receive spousal support payments from my father each month?

While we can’t tell you about Ohio in particular, the answer is probably no. Your father will have to pay all of his income, less a small personal needs allowance to the nursing home. Medicaid allows for income to be paid to a spouse in some circumstances, but not to an ex-spouse. It doesn’t care that your father has a legal obligation to make these payments.

Local Elder Law Attorneys in Ashburn, VA

Mindy Felinton

Felinton Elder Law & Estate Planning Centers
Rockville, MD

Margaret O'Reilly

Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
Herndon, VA

Daniel Steven

Daniel N. Steven, LLC
Rockville, MD

Last Modified: 02/14/2018

Learn More

View All Elder Law Topics Questions & Answers State Medicaid Information