Search for Elder Law Attorneys

Q&A: Retirement Planning


After looking through our library of questions and answers first, you still can't find the answer to your question? Click Here


Should We Lend Our Savings to Our Daughter in Order to Increase Our Income?

I am age 87, retired-disabled; my wife is 78 and working part-time but looks forward to retiring soon. We own a home with a substantial mortgage, have a modest IRA, and about $70,000 in savings. We are being hit by excessive, crushing health insurance costs and our resources and SS income now are not quite enough to maintain a decent living standard. Our daughter has offered to help and we have discussed lending our savings to her business long term at 10% interest, which would be taxable income to us. Daughter is also willing and able to donate some gift money to parents if needed. Any alternate ideas; can I structure a plan where there will be no tax on the interest income? Or some kind of gift arrangement that would be better?

View Answerview
tags: Estate Planning, Retirement Planning

Ask a Question

Ask us a question and we'll respond if possible. We receive a large number of questions and are unable to answer every one. But if you don't hear back, many questions, particularly those involving Medicaid law, are best answered by a local elder law attorney. To find a qualified elder law attorney near you, click here.

I understand that ElderLawAnswers is not a law firm and in contacting ElderLawAnswers I am not creating an attorney-client relationship or receiving legal advice. Any question I submit will not be treated as privileged or confidential and may be posted along with its response on so others, with similar issues, can benefit from the response. However, my name, e-mail and city will not be posted or made public in association with the posted question and response. I understand that ElderLawAnswers may not respond to my question at all and if it does it will do so in a general matter on which I cannot rely. If I want a specific legal response and guidance, I will seek independent legal counsel from an attorney duly licensed in my state.